Thursday, August 31, 2006

Perception is Reality

I've decided to change the name of my blog from "Harsh Reality" to "Perception is Reality". I have a boss who just loves to say "Well, that is your perception" as though that somehow makes my point any less valid. I find it very dismissive and condescending but you know what they say, "you can't win an argument with your boss" so I just don't bother wasting my breath anymore. I read a letter to the editor in the local paper where the letter writer made this statement and I thought it was very profound.

Of course, there are those that try to say if you change your perception then your reality changes. I can agree that perception is reality but I am not convinced that changing my perception changes my reality. If I have a beat up old junker of a car and decide one day to perceive it as a Mercedes, does it suddenly become a Mercedes? In my mind, maybe, but in reality, it is still a junker of a car. One person does not create reality. I think we all contribute to each other's reality. I am just too literal and logical to buy all this new age/spiritual/metaphysical crap. Think positive thoughts and good things will happen. Put out positive energy and the universe will return that same energy. Give me a break!

I did really try to get into it. I spent quite a bit of time reading books by Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, and Carolyn Myss among others. There was some good solid advice in some of those books but for the most part, I was left with more questions than anything. One of my favorites was a story in Carolyn Myss' book "Sacred Contracts". Firstly, I think her claims that she can diagnose/heal people by reading their energy is a bunch of crock. But the part that really disgusted me was this story of a woman she knew who was sad that her kids would not speak to her because she left them when they were little. Ms. Myss' goes on to explain that the mother hopes that one day she can reconcile with her children and that the kids will understand that she had a calling to be elsewhere. I'm sorry but, this woman abandoned her children for whatever selfish reason she had. No amount of perceiving it differently will change that reality.

No comments: