Thursday, August 16, 2007

Anxiety

I've discovered something. I eat when I am anxious. Food is calming, soothing, a distraction. I guess I've had anxious feelings for a long time. Why it took me so long to figure out that usually when I feel anxious, there is food in my hand, I don't know. When I was getting my ticket back in January, I reached for a candy bar as the officer was writing the ticket. Yesterday, when I encountered some unexpected traffic on my drive in to work, I reached for a Kashi bar and ended up eating two. I would have probably eaten more if the rest of the stuff in my lunch bag didn't need reheating.

Living in the Atlanta area, I encounter traffic every day almost so the only reason I can think of for that particular traffic jam making me anxious is that I was not expecting it. I drive that several mornings a week and rarely ever encounter significant traffic at that time of the morning. So, I guess a lot of my anxiety is brought on by the unexpected. What can I do about the unexpected? Nothing. I honestly think that exercise is the only reason I have not gained back all the weight I lost and then some because I am a pretty healthy eater and now I understand that much of that eating is not related to hunger.

No comments: