Thursday, December 20, 2007

12 Day Body Shaping Miracle

I read Michael Thurmond's 12 Day Body Shaping Miracle a few weeks ago and took some copious notes with the intention of trying out his plan. In a nutshell, he believes that:

  1. Less intense cardio performed consistently is the best way to burn fat.
  2. 50 to 65% of your maximum heart rate is the ideal fat burning zone.
  3. Walking or slow jogging for 45 to 60 minutes is the best way to burn fat.
  4. Step, kick boxing, and circuit workouts should be avoided in order to accelerate fat loss.
  5. One should eat a diet suited to their partcular body type. For my body type- ecto endo- he prescribes a diet of lean protein, veggies, high fiber fruits (always eaten with protein), and minimal "good" carbs.
  6. Weight training should be targeted to your specific problem areas.

My problem areas start at my navel and end a few inches above my knees. My arms are pretty toned but they don't look like it. I would love to get some more muscle definition in my arms. I don't consider them a problem area but they could definitely be improved. I decided to give his plan a try and invested in some walking workouts. I've never done a walking workout because I always thought they would be too easy. I was right. Still, it is a good break from my more strenuous cardio workouts. He uses a resistance band in the exercise demonstrations throughout his book so I decided to used Body Fusion for most of the strength work since it mainly uses a resistance band. Here is his 12 day workout schedule and the workouts I have chosen to do in an attempt to follow his plan.

Day 1- 45 minutes to 1 hour cardio/ Lower Body/ Mid Body--- Prevention Walk Yourself Fit for 45 minutes and Cathe's Body Fusion Lower Body and Stability Ball Abs. Total Workout time: 75 minutes

Day 2- 45 minutes to 1 hour cardio/ Upper Body-- Leslie Sansone 4 Mile Fat Burning Walk and Cathe's Body Fusion Upper Body. Total Workout time: 75 minutes

Day 3- Rest

Day 4- Lower Body/ Upper Body/ 45 to 60 min Cardio-- Leslie Super Challenge 4 mile (I only did about 3.5 miles or 50 minutes of the workout) and Tom Holland Total Body Workout. Total workout time: 92 minutes

Day 5- Upper Body- Cathe's Maximum Intensity Strength. Total Workout Time: 42 minutes

Day 6- Rest

Day 7- Lower/Mid Body- Cathe's Slow & Heavy Legs and Cathe's Body Fusion Stability Ball Abs. Total Workout time: 43 minutes

Day 8- Upper Body/ 45 to 60 minutes cardio- Leslie Walk Away the Pound Express Advanced 3 miles and Cathe's Body Fusion Upper Body. Total Workout time: 70 minutes

Day 9- Rest

Day 10- Lower/Mid Body- The Firm Standing Legs and a segment from The Firm 5 Day Abs. Total workout time: 49 minutes

Day 11- Upper Body / 45 to 60 minutes cardio- The Firm Upper Body and Leslie Walk Away the Pound Express Advanced 3 miles. Total Workout Time: 85 minutes

Day 12- Rest

Day 13- Measure and weigh yourself

I am on Day 4 and other than a few slips with my eating, I think I am doing pretty well. I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can. The walking workouts aren't as bad as I thought but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do them consistently over a long period of time. I find myself doing things to make them a little more intense but that takes me out of my target heart rate zone so I have to force myself to do the workouts as they are. I took my measurements on the first day and I'll report my results on Day 13 which should be around the end of the year.

No comments: