- Less intense cardio performed consistently is the best way to burn fat.
- 50 to 65% of your maximum heart rate is the ideal fat burning zone.
- Walking or slow jogging for 45 to 60 minutes is the best way to burn fat.
- Step, kick boxing, and circuit workouts should be avoided in order to accelerate fat loss.
- One should eat a diet suited to their partcular body type. For my body type- ecto endo- he prescribes a diet of lean protein, veggies, high fiber fruits (always eaten with protein), and minimal "good" carbs.
- Weight training should be targeted to your specific problem areas.
My problem areas start at my navel and end a few inches above my knees. My arms are pretty toned but they don't look like it. I would love to get some more muscle definition in my arms. I don't consider them a problem area but they could definitely be improved. I decided to give his plan a try and invested in some walking workouts. I've never done a walking workout because I always thought they would be too easy. I was right. Still, it is a good break from my more strenuous cardio workouts. He uses a resistance band in the exercise demonstrations throughout his book so I decided to used Body Fusion for most of the strength work since it mainly uses a resistance band. Here is his 12 day workout schedule and the workouts I have chosen to do in an attempt to follow his plan.
Day 1- 45 minutes to 1 hour cardio/ Lower Body/ Mid Body--- Prevention Walk Yourself Fit for 45 minutes and Cathe's Body Fusion Lower Body and Stability Ball Abs. Total Workout time: 75 minutes
Day 3- Rest
Day 4- Lower Body/ Upper Body/ 45 to 60 min Cardio-- Leslie Super Challenge 4 mile (I only did about 3.5 miles or 50 minutes of the workout) and Tom Holland Total Body Workout. Total workout time: 92 minutes
Day 5- Upper Body- Cathe's Maximum Intensity Strength. Total Workout Time: 42 minutes
Day 6- Rest
Day 8- Upper Body/ 45 to 60 minutes cardio- Leslie Walk Away the Pound Express Advanced 3 miles and Cathe's Body Fusion Upper Body. Total Workout time: 70 minutes
Day 9- Rest
Day 11- Upper Body / 45 to 60 minutes cardio- The Firm Upper Body and Leslie Walk Away the Pound Express Advanced 3 miles. Total Workout Time: 85 minutes
Day 12- Rest
Day 13- Measure and weigh yourself
I am on Day 4 and other than a few slips with my eating, I think I am doing pretty well. I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can. The walking workouts aren't as bad as I thought but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do them consistently over a long period of time. I find myself doing things to make them a little more intense but that takes me out of my target heart rate zone so I have to force myself to do the workouts as they are. I took my measurements on the first day and I'll report my results on Day 13 which should be around the end of the year.