Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Baseball

I'll be turning 35 in July and I went to my first, and probably last, baseball game this past Saturday. I remember watching baseball as a child and thinking how boring it was. It just seemed like a lot of standing around and every once in a while someone would actually hit the ball. Aside from it being the most boring sport after golf, maybe I dislike baseball because I wasn't any good at it in PE. Who am I kidding? I wasn't good at any sport in PE. I've just never been the athletic type. I rarely hit the ball and on the rare occasion that I did hit the ball, I never made it past 1st base.

Knowing that I don't like baseball, I rationlized going by telling myself that the tickets were free, it was something different to do, and it couldn't possibly be as boring in person as it is on TV. After sitting at the game for 2.5 hours, I can say with some authority that baseball is even more boring in person. At least on TV, the commercials break up the monotony. The game was between the Atlanta Braves and the Cincinnati Reds. I don't understand how these men stay in reasonable shape because there was more standing around than anything else. After 6 innings, the score was 2 to 1. How can anyone call this a sport? I can watch basketball with no problem because there is always some movement. Not so with baseball. They rarely hit the ball. Of course, if you don't hit the ball, there's no running.

Although it was a home game, I was rooting for the Reds for really no other reason than everyone else there was likely a Braves fan. I seem to like going against the crowd. Too bad the Reds absolutely sucked. The 1 time they scored, it was because one of their players stole his way to home base. My husband kept laying his head on my shoulder because he too was bored out of his mind. We left at the beginning of the 8th inning. The Braves had just scored two runs at the bottom of the 7th inning and apparently scored 5 more runs after we left. We really didn't care that we weren't there to see it.

No comments: