Monday, August 25, 2008

The Dark Knight

Against my better judgement, a friend and I went to see the Dark Knight. The Batman movies have not been the same since Michael Keaton played Batman. They've just gotten worse over the years. IMO, Michael Keaton was the best Batman. I am not one to listen to hype but everyone made such a big deal about this movie, I thought it would be a good idea to go see it. Not to mention, there was nothing else playing that I wanted to see, so Batman kind of won by default. I still don't know what to think of this movie. Heath Ledger did a great job as the Joker. Too good, in fact. I kept praying for someone to kill him because he really got annoying after a while. I am not sure why they had Batman talking like he had a really bad sore throat but, he sounded like Scooby Doo. I couldn't stop laughing. Why, in this movie, does Batman feel the need to disguise his voice when he didn't disguise it in all the others? It was so silly and unnecessary. The movie was also way too long and drawn out for my tastes.

My friend and I walked out of the theater convinced that the Joker- or the director, not sure which- was racist. Every time he turned around, he was killing a black person. In typical Hollywood fashion, the first person killed in an apparently otherwise lily white town, was a Black guy. There were two gangs in town..the Black gang and the Italian gang. Who does the Joker go and mess with? The Black gang of course! In fact, every Black character in this movie-except Morgan Freeman- was involved in some criminal activity. Good going Hollywood! Let's continue to perpetuate that stereotype. The bad cop that was tipping off the mobsters? The one Latino cop on the force. Would it have changed the plot at all to make the bad cop one of the white cops? I doubt it.

Don't get me started on the Batmobile. Why re-design a sleek, futuristic looking sports car into a lumbering, ugly armored car? And Batman's obsession with having this good face represent Gotham because he was apparently bad...what the heck was that all about? I am still trying to figure out why he was so bad. And Maggie Gyllenhaal...lord that woman is unattractive. Her face looks like a prune with all her facial features squooshed together in the middle of her face. I can't believe she's in her 20s. She looks like she's pushing 50. She was trying so hard to play this sexy, slinky, yet smart character and she was not believable.

There is so much more to complain about but strangely, I didn't hate the movie. I didn't love it either. There was just enough going on to keep it interesting but two weeks after I've seen it, I'm still sitting here going WTF was that.

No comments: