Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crisis?


Are we in a time of crisis? Everything we hear on the news says we should be. Somehow, I don’t feel overly concerned. I did't even watch Bush's speech tonight. Mainly because the man gets on my last nerve. My husband and I tend to be calm people who take things in stride. The only thing that generally sends me over the edge is when people don’t do what they say they’re going to do. I don’t deal with disappointment well. We are preparing our house in Covington for sale so we drive up to Covington from Columbus , every weekend to work on it. This past weekend, finding gas was a challenge. In Columbus , the second gas station I went to had gas but there was a line. When we arrived in Covington , none of the gas stations off our highway exit had gas. We have to pass 7 gas stations on the drive to our house. I’ve been watching the news this week and it seems that the gas problems are getting worse. Everyone is upset about it and understandably so. I don’t know. It seems like a good opportunity to decrease our dependency on automobiles to me. Take the train, ride a bike, walk, etc…

The economy is apparently going to hell in a handbasket. I have a love/hate relationship with capitalism. I think this phase is called reaping what you sow. This is one of the downsides to placing money, possessions, and wealth before people. No economic model is perfect but I finished my economics class in college not completely convinced that some of the theories were rational.

I’m not sure what to think about all this. I am not a happy-go-lucky person. This is exactly the type of doom and gloom that I often take comfort in. It fits in so neatly with my cynical world view. Surprisingly though, I’m not worried. I don’t think this is the end of the “good life” as we have come to know it. The instability in the financial markets and the ridiculously high gas prices will not lead to the country’s financial ruin. Whatever happens, we’ll get through it. What other option is there?

No comments: