Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Surprise!

Well the completely unexpected has happened. I do not like surprises so I have been tracking my period religiously for a few years now. I really hated the seemingly random way it would pop up so this was my way of knowing when to expect it and be prepared for it. Anyway, my period did not come as scheduled this month. I can count the number of times I've been late in the past few years on one hand so the alarm went off in my head immediately. After giving it about a week to show up and praying it was late, it never came. So, I went to Walgreens and got a pregnancy test. It's positive. I'm going to my gyno this week to confirm but I know my body. That's really the only reason why my period wouldn't come.

I didn't grow up dreaming of the day I would be a mom. My fantasies did not include children...or a husband for that matter. My husband and I were dead set against having children when we first met. That position has kind of softened over the past 2 or 3 years. We never discussed it seriously but have had conversations of what it would be like to have a child and what kind of parents we would be. I guess this opened the door for this to happen because we almost didn't care whether we had a child or not. If we had one, great. If we didn't have one, great. I guess I can say that we're cautiously happy about it. My husband and I are calm and practical people. No matter how happy we are, our feet are always firmly planted on the ground. We know this is probably going to be our biggest undertaking as a couple and we really want to be as prepared as possible.

1 comment:

Ann Allen said...

OMG OMG!!!! WOW!! I'm speechless (which is more than I can say for the candidates) - I'm thrilled!! I'm ecstatic!!! WOW!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! If you don't mind, please let me know more details! Due date etc!! Would LOVE to see you.