Friday, November 07, 2008

Who writes these things?


I've immersed myself in pregnancy books that so far are a bit of a disappointment. What is really annoying about them is that they stress eating healthy, which I normally do, without taking into account that during the first trimester, eating healthy is dang near impossible. I have had constant nausea almost from the beginning and many of the foods that I normally eat with abandon are nauseating to me. I have a big jar of cashews that I can't even stand to look at, much less eat. Yogurt was a daily staple. Now, the sour smell and taste seem to have magnified 100x. I can't stomach it.

The only healthy foods I seemed to have maintained my taste for are mainly protein, fruit, and milk. I only seem to have an appetite for ground beef. The thought of eating a steak makes me feel like throwing up. I also can't seem to eat anything I don't have a taste for. So far, I've spent one week in Wendy's eating just their chicken sandwich patties slathered with mayonnaise- no bread- and chicken nuggets. This week it's eating salami, boiled eggs, and tuna like there's no tomorrow. The books are written as though you should just eat healthy anyway. I would love to but that seems impossible right about now. I don't know what's worse constantly feeling like you're going to throw up and never throwing up or throwing up all the time. Some days, like today, my nausea is pretty bad and I'm tempted to make myself throw up thinking that the nausea will go away if I throw up. But I know better. It won't go away.

My breasts have also become so swollen and tender that it's hard to get a good night's sleep unless I lay on my back the entire time. Of course, when I get up and gravity hits them, OUCH! I've learned to get up very slowly and hold them in place with my arms until I've adjusted to standing up. My mom suggested sleeping with a bra on...of course, none of them fit properly anymore...and that seems to help. I can't seem to work up the energy to work out either....or even clean the house. It's getting annoying. I've lost count of the number of days I've come home and picked out my workout, only to fall asleep. I know this stage is temporary but I can't wait for it to be over.

No comments: