Tuesday, February 17, 2009

This has been quite a month.

February is turning into quite an eventful month. First, our stuff is stolen, then I spend most of last night in the ER. I started having pain in my pelvic area on Sunday. I went to work yesterday and had a really rough day. I couldn't sit for long periods because that seemed to aggravate the pain. I laid down to go to sleep around 12:30 last night and the pain moved from my pelvis to my abdomen and eventually became unbearable. I tried to be a trooper and stick it out but no position was comfortable and I kept having to get up to pee every 2 seconds which made the pain even worse. I asked my husband to take me to the ER at around 2:00 this morning. The ER at the Medical Center turned out to be a complete waste of time. I'm convinced that unless you show up there in labor, they don't know what to do with you if you're pregnant.

The ER nurse was absolutely useless and kept throwing out all these possible things it could be instead of actually trying to diagnose the problem. She checked my cervix to see if I was dilated which ticked me off because I told her when I came in that I was not having contractions. I also told her that whatever was going on did not seem to affect the baby because he was moving around like he normally does. She had already checked his heartbeat so why she decided to check my cervix I really don't know. She then hooked this monitor to my stomach which seemed to make my uterus start contracting. With every contraction, the pain in my abdomen got worse. My uterus continued to contract for a little while after I left the ER. She said all she could figure out from the monitor was that my uterus was "irrated" but she didn't know the cause. Then she wanted to hook me up to an IV because she thought I could be dehydrated. I refused because I know that was not the problem. I walked in there with a liter bottle of water for pete's sake! She then offered me painkillers and sleeping meds which I also refused. I told her the only reason I came to the ER was to find out why my stomach hurt so badly. Until then, I was not interested in any treatment or meds.

She called the OB on call who said I should come into the office when they open for an ultrasound. So, I went through all of that so I could come home and try to sleep propped up on the headboard because lying down and sitting upright was too painful. I went to get the ultrasound this morning and pointed the technician to the area where the pain originates and she scanned it and said I had a fibroid. It hurts like hell and my OB said that they really can't treat it while I'm pregnant. She told me to go home, rest and take some tylenol. It could go away, it could get bigger. They don't know. All they can do is monitor it for right now. OK, why am I paying you again?

No comments: