Wednesday, June 24, 2009

He's Here...

I finally have a moment to post that my boy is here. He was born on June 9 @ 9:27 p.m. and weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. The birth did not go as I was hoping since I ended up with a C-section. My midwife believes that after 22 hours of labor, his head was just too big to make it through my pelviss. His head measured 14.25 inches at birth so I guess it was pretty big but from what I've been reading, that is a fairly average head circumference. There's still so many questions that I need answered before I can be fully OK with all this. I'm trying to get to the point where I can write or even think about my birth experience without getting angry. I'm not angry that I had a c-section. I'm angry that the L&D hospital staff were so inept and unprofessional. I fully intend to file complaints with the appropriate people. If nothing else, I did not want the memory of his birth marred but they did their best to ruin the experience for us. Every nightmare story that I read from other mothers who had to endure inept and uncaring hospital staff seemed to play out for me within the first few hours of my arrival at the hospital.

On a more positive note, my son is absolutely beautiful. He's two weeks old and he is changing every day. He almost looks like a completely different baby than when he was born. Everyone says that he looks like me but I think he looks more like my husband. He is an overall easy baby to care for although he does have his cranky moments. I feel so fortunate to have him and I'm trying my best to enjoy these early days with him and not get too caught up with how much I would rather have a full night's sleep and how much easier it would be if I was formula feeding instead of breast feeding. I won't get this time back and I won't get any do-overs.

1 comment:

Ann Allen said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! This is the first chance I've had to check your blog and am thrilled about the good news. I'm sure he is adorable. Maybe you could email me some pictures. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good hospital experience but I'm glad that all of you are well. Sending you hugs and more hugs. xoxo