Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday...Lite


I am not much of a shopper. I don't shop for recreation. When I go to the store, I usually have something specific in mind. Most times, I get it and I leave. There are only a few stores that I browse in...Target, Publix, and Big Lots. The thought of going out after Thanksgiving and/or Christmas for the so-called Black Friday deals fills me with dread, not anticipation. I always get the sale papers and look through them all but never venture out to partake in the supposed savings. I spent most of the afternoon on Thanksgiving looking through the flyers and picking out the stores that I MAY decide to grace with my presence. Best Buy has a camcorder we've been eyeing for the lowest price we've seen yet. They also had some DVD movies that I've been wanting to see. I talked myself into at least going to Best Buy to get the camcorder. Then we got home and saw on the news that there was already a line forming at Best Buy and my resolve quickly started to wane.

I went to Best Buy's website at midnight hoping to be able to get the camcorder online. At 12:04, the site said the camcorder was sold out online. I decided to get the DVDs but apparently Best Buy no longer offers free shipping. There was no way I was paying $12 to ship 5 DVDs so I went to Amazon and was relieved to see that they had the same DVDs at the same price. I have a baby so camping out outside of Best Buy was not an option.So, no Best Buy this year.

So, how did I spend Black Friday? Well, my baby was up for the day at 7 so I bundled him up in the car and off we went to Walgreen's. I drove down Warm Springs Rd. so I could check out the crowds at Best Buy and the mall from a distance. I decided that I made the right decision. Why put up with all that hassle when it was highly likely that anything I wanted was already gone? Walgreen's had B&J ice cream for $1.99 and with my $1.00 coupon that means my favorite ice cream for $0.99. I also got some Triscuits so I could send in for a $10 rebate from Kraft. From there, it was off to Publix to get boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.79/lb. I was supposed to go to Big Lots and Tuesday Morning after that but was too tired so I went home. My exciting shopping day ended with buying a purse on Wilson Leather's website and some Christmas presents on Bath & Body Works site.

I know I have a shopping gene but there is only so much I am willing to do to get a deal. Short of free, it takes a lot more than the promise of a deal to entice me out of my warm bed at 5 in the morning.

No comments: