Thursday, November 19, 2009

Finally...some validation

I subscribe to Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine because I get real fitness information without the fluff found in other magazines. I was so happy to read an article in the Nov/Dec issue that talks about low carb diets and lactation. I have been unhappy with my eating for months now and felt stuck because everything I read talked about how bad low carb diets were for breastfeeding and they all talked about how eating carbs was essential for a good milk supply.

The article cited a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition earlier this year. In a nutshell, the study found that lactating mothers on a reduced calorie diet (1800 calories) had significantly higher metabolism and burned more calories when they consumed only 30% of their calories from carbohydrates and dramatically increased their intake of good fats. More importantly, the study confirmed that reducing calories and carbs had no effect on the quality of the milk the women produced. In fact, the amount of fatty acids and calories in the milk were increased. Of course, the study is not available without paying for it but I found this site..he has some rather uninformed views about breastfeeding though...that references it and I've linked to the abstract above.

I am buoyed by this because now I have more specific guidelines about what to eat and I will no longer be a slave to carbs because I'm convinced that I have to eat them to produce milk. So, I've committed to tracking calories closely for the next few weeks and sticking to the 30% of calories from carbs ratio. I'm also going to do the leg routine in this issue since I have so much extra fat on my waist and thighs. So, here's my workout schedule from Nov.23 through Dec. 31.

Monday- Intervals, upper body workout
Tuesday- M&F Hers Thighs & Lows routine part 1
Wednesday- Turbo Kick class
Thursday- M&F Hers Thighs & Lows routine part 2
Friday- upper body workout

I think the Dumbbell Destruction and/or the Armed & Dangerous routines from this same issue look like good complementary upper body workouts.

No comments: