Monday, February 15, 2010

Couponing

I've been trying to get into couponing since November of last year. Every week, I faithfully scour the sales flyers for the grocery store, drug stores, and Target to see what good deals I can snag that week. Since then, I've accumulated mountains of toothpaste and mouthwash. It seems as though they are on sale every week. I continue to buy them because one of the justifications of couponing is that you stock up when items are cheap so that you don't have to buy them when they're on sale.

Although I think I am failing miserably at the grocery store with the couponing thing, my cabinets are overflowing with food, I still have items from my last grocery trip sitting on the counter because I can't find any room for them in the cabinets. I've convinced myself that I need new bigger kitchen cabinets and a pantry to accommodate all the food I'm buying. Well, to be fair, couponing or not, the house is 80 years old and still has the original cabinets so it really needs new cabinets. I also think I should get a deep freezer because I have enough Bird's Eye Voila meals, Steamfresh Meals for Two and Healthy Choice meals to feed a small army.It seems the same items are on sale almost every week and with my personality, I feel compelled to buy them because it's something that we would eat AND I have a coupon for it.

Despite all my space issues, my misgivings about how much I'm really saving when you factor in the cost of gas and the time I spend stalking deals, the fact that I am still making rookie mistakes almost weekly, I really do enjoy couponing. Something about it satisfies the achiever in me. I plan to continue doing it until I get to a certain level of comfort with the whole process. I am also determined to do better at the grocery store. I am just not realizing the savings that I could be. It's likely that it's because I refuse to compromise on which foods I'm willing to buy. Some foods just aren't welcome in my house and a coupon is not going to change that.

No comments: