Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Grocery Hits and Misses

Like I mentioned before, we've been trying all kinds of stuff that we've never tried before. Here's my current list of hits and misses.

Hits

  1. Nivea body wash. Great stuff.  I'm not fond of the ingredient label but still a great product. I'm becoming a fan of several of their products.  The lotion and lip balm are also very good.  
  2. Olay Definity.  I've never been a fan of Proctor and Gamble as a company but I was truly impressed when I tried this line of products.  I've adopted it as my skin care line. I’ve never committed to a skin care line before but after using the Definity 14 Day Rehab, it did wonders for my skin tone and has actually made the large pores around my nose look smaller. I’m still hoping it can help reduce the frown lines on my foreheard that came from years of squinting at the sun.
  3. Almay’s Intense-I makeup. The mascara is the first mascara I’ve used where I can see a difference in the way my lashes look and I love that everything is coordinated for me because I am so bad at putting things like this together. It’s why I’ve stopped buying separate pieces of clothing and have moved toward buying outfits that are already coordinated. To think, I used to want to be a fashion designer. If I had a true talent for that, I think that this quality would be inherent.
  4. Chobani Greek yogurt. I've always been a big fan of Fage yogurt but I've found Chobani and Fage Greek yogurts to be virtually interchangeable. They’re both very good. Oikos is a good backup choice.
  5. Purex 3-in-1 detergent. I was surprised at how much I liked this. Our clothes did look cleaner than they do with our usual detergent. This is an area where I’ve typically bought what was cheapest because I’ve never seen much of a difference in cleaning between detergents. I'm a bit disturbed by the obvious residue left on the clothes once they're removed from the dryer but overall, a good product.
  6. Oral-B toothbrushes. Before I started couponing, the free toothbrushes from the dentist were perfectly fine but now I see there is a difference.
  7. Hormel refrigerated entrees. Surprising because I usually hate Hormel products. Their canned chili is AWFUL. I also like Hormel’s Compleats meals…the roast beef one anyway.
  8. Frozen pizza. We've tried DiGiorno, Freschetta, and Red Baron and they're all good. I avoided buying them before because I thought they would probably taste bad.  Another pleasant surprise. The pizza in DiGiorno’s pizza and breadsticks was virtually tasteless though but we've liked their other varieties.
Misses

  1. Packaged cold cuts. I’ve been buying nothing but packaged cold cuts lately because I’ve had so many coupons for them but they still cannot compare to Boar’s Head.  They're cheap and they're edible so we eat them. 
  2. Yoplait yogurt. Where do I start.  Waaayyyyyy too sweet.  The flavors have no resemblance to what it says on the cup. Their Greek yogurt has got to be the worst Greek yogurt ever. I had 2 coupons for a free one and I did not even use the second coupon. It was that bad. Really chalky and not smooth at all like the Fage, Chobani, and Oikos brands.
  3. Olay body washes. Of course I now have a humongous stash of Olay body washes from my early couponing days that I don’t want to use now. I’ll just donate them to a women’s shelter.
  4. Stonyfield Farm organic yogurt. It’s way too sweet to taste so bad. It’s still not as bad as Yoplait yogurt though.
  5. Hall’s Refresh drops. They left my mouth tasting pasty. I had tons of coupons for them from a free sampling at Publix and I sent them all to the troops.
  6. Aquafresh toothpaste. I never really noticed a difference before now but Colgate definitely has a less offensive taste to me. I still wouldn’t call it a favorite though. The sweetness of name brand toothpastes tend to turn me of.
  7. Men's body wash. It’s a tossup between which men’s body wash is stinkier…Nivea or Gillette. My husband prefers the way that Nivea men’s washes clean but we both think the Gillette Hydrating and Clean have better scents. I can’t believe what’s passing for good scents these days. We don’t even look at Old Spice stuff. I still remember that smell from when I was growing up. It’s right up there with Brut and Drakkar for me. Yuck!
  8. Knorr side dishes.  Really not tasty at all.  The most decent one we tried was the Teriyaki noodles.
  9. Stouffers Bistro subs.  I can't remember the full name of this product but we bought the meatball sub.  Let's just say, my husband has never used the word "disgusting" to describe food before this.

No comments: