Tuesday, April 05, 2011

D is for Don't Know

We're only four letters into the challenge and I don't know what to write about. I have been thinking about this topic since yesterday and nothing is coming to me. I can't possibly have writer's block already. This may explain why I have such a hard time keeping this blog updated. I'm constantly tugged in a hundred different directions so inspiration comes sporadically, if at all. Great writing ideas often pop into my head while I'm driving. This is annoying to say the least. By the time I get an opportunity to jot anything down, the idea is gone or doesn't sound half as good as it did when I first thought of it.

I'm trying to recreate a writing exercise I learned in high school to see if a topic reveals itself. One of my English teachers told us that when you absolutely don't know what to write about, just start writing. Whatever pops into your head, write it down. Don't analyze it. Don't stop and proofread it. Just write as the words come to you. Sometimes this is effective and sometimes it's not. For me, it's most effective when I have a topic. Writing about the letter D is not nearly as interesting as writing about some other interesting word or phrase that begins with D. Maybe I can write about my first crush, Danley. Or my struggles with dysthymia. My cluttered desk. My report that's due. My disappointment that the cafeteria did not have any turkey burgers today. The destination for our next vacation. The significance of the date of my upcoming wedding anniversary. My delight at finally filing our taxes today. Every year, I say that I'll have them done by the end of February and it never happens. Preparing our tax return causes me a lot of stress and anxiety. I always end up doing a little and then coming back to it days or weeks later. We honestly need to just give everything to a CPA but I'm far too anal for that. If we were to ever get auditied...knocks wood...our butt would be on the line, not the CPA's. I never want to end up in the crosshairs of the IRS, especially for something someone else did. Maybe I can come up with some "D" words to describe the annual tax filing process.

Dysfunctional
Distressing
Depressing

Hmmmm. I guess that writing technique worked.

3 comments:

Marie Anne said...

It did!

Martha (MM) said...

Well, you managed to do it! :-)

pbquig said...

I hate taxes and filing them and this year we pay which I hate more. Hmm maybe I'm doing H here. Anyway loved your post.

Pam
Pirate Knitting