Monday, July 04, 2011

Potty Training Update - Week 1

Our mornings are already hectic. I can’t tell you when was the last time I made it to work on time. Luckily, I have a boss who is a mother and she understands. Nevertheless, I decided to set aside some time in the morning and right before bath time in the evening for “potty time”. During the first week, 90% of the time, he peed in the potty during his evening potty time. We didn’t have much success in the morning because I honestly didn’t have the time to sit there and entertain him. It was more for practice than anything else. Over the weekend, I decided to use another of Dr. Lekovic's suggestions. Remove the diaper completely and let him run around the house bare-bottomed. I decided to do this because we've tried training pants and he just treated them like diapers. He is not the kind of child that is bothered by a wet diaper or training pant. So, the training pants were not effective. We had many accidents the first weekend and a few showdowns when it was clear that he was holding his pee and poop to avoid using the potty. We were gently insistent that he had to go in the potty. There were some tears which I responded to by hugging and comforting him because I don't want him to think of the potty as a punishment. I ended the first week looking forward to Monday again because I was tired of the constant vigilance that not wearing a diaper or training pant requires.  

No comments: