Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The Writer Magazine - Worth Every Expensive Penny

I subscribed to The Writer magazine last summer when I decided to become more serious about my writing aspirations. When the first issue arrived, I wondered if I'd made a mistake. The magazine is not an easy read. It's not like the magazines that I thumb through at the doctor's office. Nice pictures but nothing really worth reading. Each issue is filled with informative articles that are helpful to a novice writer like me and, I'm sure, more experienced writers too.

I don't have a few hours each month to devote to going through each issue. As such, I am perpetually behind. The February through July issues are still waiting to be read. This past Sunday, I sat down with a cup of coffee and started on the February issue. Almost two hours later, I was only on page 16. On page 8, I found an inspiring article about Zora Neale Hurston that included the following quote from one of her essays.

"I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow dammed up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes. I do not belong to the sobbing school of Negrohood who hold that nature somehow has given them a lowdown dirty deal and whose feelings are all hurt about it. Even in the helter-skelter skirmish of life, I have seen that the world is to the strong regardless of a little pigmentation more or less. No, I do not weep at the world - I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife."

I need to remember that the next time I'm having a down day. Life is a fight, a struggle. I wish it weren't but it is. On page 10, I find a humorous take on Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck" comedy bit. This one is called, "You Might Be A Writer If..." On page 14, Scott La Counte chronicles how his blog became a book deal. I'm not just reading, I'm taking notes along the way. The front of the magazine is soon filled with my hand-written notes as inspiration strikes me while I read. Numerous pages are dogeared so that I can easily find the most memorable and useful pieces.

I hestitated and thought about whether I should get this subscription for a long time. Compared to other magazines, it is not cheap. I bit the bullet and signed up for the 2-year subscription since it offers a bit more savings than one year. It's one of the few magazines that I do not regret subscribing to. For the inspiration alone, I think it's worth every expensive penny.

No comments: