Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekly Meal Planning

We have a tough schedule for the next few months and I am recommitting to preparing healthy meals for my family so we don't have to eat on the fly. My little one has started yelling "cheeseburger" every time we pass a Wendy's. That's a pretty good sign we've been eating there too much. I'm cooking everything today so I don't have to worry about cooking when I get home each day. Just heat and serve. Our menu for this week:

Beef Stew with Corn Sticks and green beans – I got the corn sticks recipe from In Pursuit of Flavor by Edna Lewis. I knew I was in trouble when I poured the milk into the cornmeal and flour. There was not enough liquid to really mix into a batter. The second hint that I was in trouble was when I looked at how many corn sticks the recipe was supposed to make. It said 18 but I got 11 and that was with really stretching the batter out. They're not bad but I will definitely halve the salt the next time I make them.

Puerto Rican Pork Roast with Rice Pilaf and broccoli – The Puerto Rican Pork Roast is one of my favorite recipes from Allrecipes.com. Quick, easy, and delicious. This was my first attempt at making the Rice Pilaf recipe from Mrs. Restino's Country Kitchen cookbook. The recipe is actually called Chicken Rice Pilaf but I left out the chicken since I already had a meat to go with it. It's pretty good but I think the recipe calls for too much tomato. The two cups I used seemed to have taken over the dish. That's all I can really taste. It's still pretty good though.

I'm also making some blueberry muffins so that I can have a portable breakfast and premaking oatmeal just in case my toddler wants some breakfast before we leave the house at the crack of dawn. Oatmeal tends to clump the colder it gets so I just add a little milk to the oatmeal to thin it out when I reheat it. I was grocery shopping at Ingles yesterday and was so tempted to buy their blueberry muffins but I didn't because I save so many calories and dollars by making them myself. I'm rounding this week's menu out by baking a batch of brownies.

No comments: